Things to do:
- Eat tons of good food!
Believe it or not, while SF is not so popularly known as being the city with a spectacular food scene, you’ll still be able to find many novel food items. Check out these Instagram pages for some inspiration:
These are a few of my favorite pages when it comes to staying hip to the SF food scene.
If you have a sweet tooth like me, you can’t miss out on Trish’s Donuts at Fishermans Wharf and the Baked Bear just a few minutes from the Wharf as well.
What to pack:
- Windbreaker or light jacket.
SF tends to get cold at the most random times! Being from the East Coast, I thought that I’d always be warm on the West Coast regardless of what city I was in. WRONG! I learned that lesson the very hard way. After my first trip to the city and catching a terrible cold that stuck with me for the rest of my trip, I realized that a light jacket, preferably a hoodie, is a must-have!
- Comfy shoes
With so much to do and see, having comfortable shoes is a must! Traffic in San Francisco is similar to the horror stories you hear about traffic in New York City. Public transport to the rescue! You don’t need a car to get around this city! Taking public transportation, however, comes hand in hand with a lot of walking. Ditch those cute new heels you just bought and toss in some cute flats or sneakers into your weekender. You’ll surely thank me later.
- An outfit for a night out
If you’re a night owl like me, SF is surely the place to be. There’s always something going on no matter what day of the week it is and tons of great bars to explore. Definitely, pack at least 1 going-out outfit if you plan on checking out the nightlife while visiting.
Sights to see:
- It’s called “The Golden State” so you can’t miss out on seeing the famous Golden Gate Bridge.
- Fisherman’s Wharf
- Lombard Street
- Twin Peaks
- Ghirardelli Square
- Union Square
- You can’t really go wrong with San Francisco, it’s a great destination to visit year-round. If you plan on checking out other cities nearby my recommendation would be to visit during the warmer months between May-September.
How much time to schedule:
- Anywhere from a few days to a week is plenty to see this city.
Travelling with kids?
- Visit the Exploratorium
- Head over to the Wharf to check out the seals
- Hop on a cable car and explore
- The Walt Disney Family Museum